Saturday, February 11, 2006

review: nanny mcphee

Nanny McPhee is a seriously enjoyable fable about loss and renewal wrapped in a 70s-style, Tim Burton-esque package. Don't be put off by the vacuous ads for the movie (the ones with Sting singing "Every little thing she does is magic"), or worse, let them convince you that this is a Mary Poppins remake. While there is "magic", the most enduring isn't performed by the eponymous Nanny McPhee, but rather by and among the members of the family she comes (out of the blue) to care for in their time of need.

If you've got even a few ounces of heart left, you'll shed a few genuine tears on your way to the perfectly crafted ending. You'll have seen it coming for most of the movie, but that doesn't make it's arrival any less satisfying. You can also thank the beautiful set designs, clever casting and deft cinematography for turning what could have been an over-sweet confection of a movie into something honest and engaging. I hope you get a chance to see it.

Quote: "If you need me but do not want me, I must stay. But when you want me but do not need me, I must leave."

No comments: