Friday, June 29, 2007

networking: application packaging expert

In my time as a product manager for a Well Known Installation Software product, I got to know a lot of people across the so-called installation industry. Few of them impressed me more than Christopher Painter, a guy who can honestly describe himself as an industry-leading expert in application packaging and deployment.

Application packaging is a somewhat fancy way of saying "installation developer", but it goes without saying that it doesn't matter how good your software solution is if your customers can't install it and get it to work. The more complicated your solution and the more critical it is that it "play nice" with other applications on the target hardware, the more important your installation gets, QED. Chris may have a whole constellation of other skills, but this is how I know him.

I'm not sure if I'm doing Chris any favors here, but when I know of someone as capable as he is, I like to let people know about him. If you're a product manager of a packaged software solution, and you need to network with someone who really really understands the ins-and-outs of how to package up your baby so that it can be successfully deployed and installed, put Chris on your Rolodex.

Need more? Groove on his blog here.

The way I see it, we all need to look our for each other, right?

Right.

No comments: