Saturday, November 28, 2009

discovered: saddleback leather company

Readers know I'm devoted to my Belstaff Colonial Canvas shoulder bag.

But it's. . .made of canvas.

Which means it's not as durable as I'd like it to be. It suffers from wearing at friction points. It isn't what I'd characterize as waterproof. It is no friend of pointy things.

So I'm always on the prowl for well-made bags that can stand up to the sort of abuse I'm prone to subject my bags to.

Steve Derricott at Gfeller Casemakers makes lovely bags. But his range is limited to pieces that work for geologists and the like.

The nice people at Ghurka make lovely bags. But that's their problem - they're too lovely.

When Patrick Ng started publishing pictures of a bag he got from Saddleback Leather Company, I had one of those "ah ha" moments.

Go have a look and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

FC said...

Great looking bag, very handsome. My concern with the leather bags is that they tend to be heavy even while empty. For me that is a big deal considering the stuff I put in it.
FC

Eric D. said...

FC is correct. I have a Saddleback bag and it is heavy...it's great, don't get me wrong, and I usually use it when the Belstaff is a little too casual, but the Colonial 554 is my go to bag. The design of the bags are really ingenious. They are rugged comfortable and light, lighter than nylon and lighter than leather. I just wish they weren't so damn expensive and hard to find.

\\\MAK\\\ said...

I know dude! Amazingly awesome bags! Some serious $$$, but hey ... that's the price. I emailed them asking about where I can get a quality leather jacket.