Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009: what's ahead

Every new year is an opportunity to. . . to. . .

To. . .

"What?"

I can't say it.

"You can't say what?"

I want to say "start anew" or "make a fresh commitment" to something or other or "rethink how you want to live".

"What's so bad about that?"

Because it seems sad that we've grown accustomed to making so-called "resolutions" at the turning of the year.

"Again, what's so bad about that?"

Why just once a year?  Why not renew those commitments every day?  Why do we set ourselves up for big achievements in full knowledge that we're likely to fail?

"I don't see it that way.  I think it's OK to have a specific day of the year that we set aside for being reflective.  For example, I know you want to go to the gym more often in 2009."

True.

"And I know that I want to be less critical of your writing."

Aww, that's awfully nice of you.

"I didn't say I'd stop being critical.  Just less so."

Still, that's a step in the right direction.  I'd also like to get back to writing on ack/nak more often.

"That'd be nice."

And I'd really like to get The Bob Swami Show on a regular production schedule.

"I'm glad to hear that.  The best way to build an audience is consistency."

I think it could be really big once I have a few more episodes in the can.  And. . . and I think I'd like to do more voice-over work in 2009.

"You still do voice-overs?"

Since my agent and I "parted ways", it's been harder, but yes, I still do.  Mostly industrial stuff like demos and training videos, and some narration.

"What else would you like to accomplish in 2009?"

Well, from a product management perspective, I want to focus more on the go-to-market part of the business, now that I feel like I've got the back-office part under control.

"Anything else?"

Other than "be nice", no, I think that about does it.

"Good luck to you then."

Thanks.

(And to you, Dear Reader, I hope your hangover isn't too terrible, and I wish you everything good in life in 2009.)

No comments: