Thursday, May 10, 2007

*$&#^$: singing the jetblue blues

The flight was originally scheduled to leave at 12:15pm.

That time came and went.

Then they hurried us on to the plane, hurry hurry! We can take off and get there if we all hurry and get on the plane and leave right now!


The second we're on the plane, a guy took the microphone and told us we'd be waiting for 90 minutes for our departure slot.

90 minutes later, we pushed back. . .hooray. . .

But wait, we're in a holding area, we're stopping the plane, turning off one of the engines.

And we wait some more.

At 2:30pm, the pilot tells us we're going to need to get more fuel, we're going back to the gate, if you need to get up and stretch your legs, go ahead.

But don't think you'll be entitled to hotels or meals or anything - "it's weather related".

Hmm.

So here I am, care of a wireless modem, left with the following:

Even if it isn't JetBlue's fault, they have a reputation for poor organization, shabby treatment of passengers left to stew for hours in hot planes, and general ineptitude.

So I can't help but blame this on them. My expectation of service was low, so I'm not surprised when I receive bad service.

I may eventually make it to Vermont tonight for my speech tomorrow. Nothing permanently "bad" is going to happen. Bad weather will always be bad weather, and it's ATC's job to keep people safe.

But still. I can't help but think "this wouldn't have happened if I took that direct United flight".

I don't care how nice the JetBlue DirectTV in every seat is, or how crispy the Blue Chips are, I've been stewing in my own juices now for a few hours and I'm ready to blame someone.

I couldn't help but overhear the lady in front of me talking on her mobile phone to a loved one she wouldn't be seeing as planned - her message? "Tell her I was flying JetBlue and my flight was really delayed."

Lesson: Protect your brand, no matter what. Once your customer's impression of your brand is spoiled, it's spoiled.

No comments: