Wednesday, February 22, 2006

mitzvahs: howyadoin messages from old friends

Some days you forget that the road you're on stretches out both behind you and in front of you at the same time. So when you get messages out of the blue from old friends, like I did today, it's with mixed feelings. I'm glad to hear from them, but I'm sad I lost touch.

I know there are folks out there who are better at staying in touch than others. People like lobbyists, LinkedIn junkies, or Notre Dame Alumni Association members. Others occupy ego-spaces that are relatively cramped and don't admit a lot of company. I'm probably somewhere in between.

I'm reminded of SDS polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, somehow. It takes current to make stuff move through the gel, similar to how it takes effort to move people through your life.

On second thought, that's an awful analogy.

No comments: